Saturday, December 24, 2016

My Hanukkah and the Changing Faces of Christmas


Mary receives the news from Angel Gabriel 
that the Messiah will be born through her







In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. And the virgin's name was Mary. And he came to her and said, “Greetings, O favored one, the Lord is with you!” But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and tried to discern what sort of greeting this might be. And the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.”

And Mary said to the angel, “How will this be, since I am a virgin?”

And the angel answered her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy—the Son of God. And behold, your relative Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived a son, and this is the sixth month with her who was called barren. For nothing will be impossible with God.” And Mary said, “Behold, I am the servant[f] of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her.

- Luke 1:26-38



I grew up loving Christmas.

For me, it became a symbol of family love and togetherness. My early memories of Christmas would be that of me and my sister, little girls of five and six, probably even younger, eagerly waiting for our Papa and Mama to come home on a Saturday afternoon from Cartimar with a freshly cut pine tree from Baguio City. Papa would then put the tree in a small bucket with water, then with Mama's help, steady the tree with rocks and stones, and place it in a corner of our living room. Papa would wrap the pail with green cloth. Christmas music would be played on a turntable, and they would begin to put the Christmas decorations -   balls of different colors and sizes, multicolored lights, stars, tinsel, and all. Then boxes of wrapped gifts would be placed under the tree. The special toys that we could only play with at Christmas time would also be placed there, as part of the decorations. As Christmas drew near, more gifts would appear. What I remember the most is waking up mornings and smelling the distinct smell of the pine tree permeating our home.

Every year it would be the same Christmas season ritual.  In 1965, we had our first Christmas in our new home. I was 12 years old then. Papa and Mama came home one Saturday afternoon with a freshly cut pine tree. The Christmas music was played, and the decors put up. Then in the evening, we sat in our dimly lit living room, admiring the Christmas tree. It was really a family thing. The next morning, I woke up to the familiar scent of the pine tree filled our home.

Christmas reminds me of my growing up years. The voices of children singing carols outside our gate. My sister and me going to our neighbors' houses to give gifts. The love and nurture and care of parents who loved us. The smell of food being prepared by my parents in the kitchen.

Yes, Papa and Mama did most things together. I am not saying that we were a perfect family. There were times of conflict and misunderstanding. But that's what family is all about. The differences got resolved in a quiet and peaceful way. My sister and I received good upbringing. Kind words, loving touches, consideration, compassion. I don't think I have father or mother wounds in my heart. There was no violence. There were no shouting matches. No drunkenness or marital infidelity. Only hard work, simplicity, elegance, and beauty.

Elegance... we had lots of it. The table was always set beautifully. My sister and I had nice clothes to wear. Our home was clean, and neat, and in order. My father was gentle with Mama, and us his children. We were taught good manners at an early age. There was honor and respect.

That is what I remember about Christmas.

And so when I had my own home, I did the same thing my parents did. Ernie and I had our first Christmas tree the year our first-born son was born. And we kept adding to the decors every year. I did not throw away any of the decors we had accumulated through the years. We only added one or two more each year.

Ernie would play his collection of Christmas music - jazz, philharmonic orchestras, choral, vocal solos... he had a wide assortment of music. There would be hot chocolate and cookies on the table, the children would be playing nearby, while Ernie and I put up the decors. It didn't take long because we did not have a big tree.

Then there were the shared meals and the many Christmas parties with friends.There would be a yearly Christmas Cantata, and a special Christmas Eve worship service. Barb, our pastor's wife, would bring several trays of cookies she had baked herself. There would be lots of gifts going around. There would be the special dinner with Ernie's extended family.

Throughout the years of my marriage, Christmas came to have an added meaning for me: the love of a husband. Again, just like my earlier years, I did not have husband wounds. Ernie was faithful, hardworking, kind, considerate, and generous with his affection and attention. I couldn't have asked for more.


Then in November 2008 Ernie passed away. Before that happened, I remember he had asked me the usual question he would ask at that time of the year: "When are we going to put up the tree?"

That first Christmas without Ernie, I found it hard to put up the tree. First Born had gotten married earlier that year and was no longer living with us. But I remember that his wife God-given had given me a helping hand. I still played the Christmas music. But I don't think I prepared the hot chocolate and the cookies.

God-given and I put up the tree without much ado. And as I sat down to watch the lights on the tree, there were tears in my years. After all, it had only been a month since Ernie died.

Of course, I know that the real reason for Christmas is Jesus coming to earth as a man to be our Redeemer. That is the ultimate reason for the season, the main motivation for the celebration.

But each year after my husband went home to heaven, the Christmas season has become increasingly more simple for me.

It's been a while since I listened to Ernie's collection. I now listen music on my laptop attached to a speaker. I finished putting up the Christmas tree in our living room only two days ago.

It's not that I no longer treasure the memories. I still do. And I will forever be thankful for the kind of nurture and love that I received from my parents and my husband. They are God's precious gifts to me and have truly given shape and substance to the person I am today.

It's just that these past weeks I have felt a huge change in the way I look at  Christmas.

It must have been about ten years ago when I learned that Jesus Christ was not actually born on December 25. And some people I know no longer put up the Christmas tree, because they say that the Christian celebration of Christmas has its origins in midwinter pagan festivals and worship of the sun and the planet Saturn, among other things. In the dead and dreariness of the dark winter season, boughs of greenery were used to decorate homes to remind people of the hope in the coming spring.

In truth, Christmas as I know it today is very much a cultural and traditional celebration.

I am not about to give up celebrating Christmas altogether. But this year I want to celebrate Christmas in a different way.

Family memories are good. And for the sake of family, we will still have the festive meal, and the Christmas tree, and the giving of gifts.

And I am forever grateful for the coming down to earth of Jesus Christ as our Redeemer and Ransom.

But in this season, together with the birth of Jesus, I am also choosing to celebrate the feast of Hanukkah.

The story of Hanukkah in its entire historical context is a long one, but it is worth reading it to gain insight and understanding. (link supplied)

The temple in Jerusalem has been desecrated under the tyranny of the Syrian King Antiophus IV, Temple worship had been prohibited, and all the precious articles used for worship had been stolen, including the menorah. A revolt arose in defense of their faith and native land, led by Judah Maccabee. Against all odds, the Syrians were defeated by the Maccabean revolt.

Now the Maccabees returned to Jerusalem to liberate it. They entered the Temple and cleared it of the idols placed there by the Syrian vandals. Judah and his followers built a new altar, which he dedicated on the twenty-fifth of the month of Kislev, in the year 3622 (139 B.C.E.). Since the golden Menorah had been stolen by the Syrians, the Maccabees now made one of cheaper metal. When they wanted to light it, they found only a small cruse of pure olive oil bearing the seal of the High Priest Yochanan. It was sufficient to light only for one day. By a miracle of G‑d, it continued to burn for eight days, till new oil was made available. That miracle proved that G‑d had again taken His people under His protection. In memory of this, our sages appointed these eight days for annual thanksgiving and for lighting candles. (from The Story of Chanukah)

This miraculous event is remembered yearly during the Hebrew month of Kislev, which corresponds to the month of December on our Gregorian calendar. It is called Hanukkah, but also referred to as the Feast of Dedication, or Festival of Lights.




It is almost certain the Jesus Christ was conceived in the womb of Mary during the feast of Hanukkah. That would place the birth of our Lord in the month of September to October, during the Feast of Tabernacles, or Sukkot.

The symbolism of these dates is awesome. Really, the realization of it just grips my heart.

Jesus being born during the Feast of Tabernacles brings home the truth that Jesus, is God With Us, Emmanuel. He tabernacled with us. This means, He came down to earth in an earthly, temporary dwelling of a human body...

Tradition says that He was born in a manger, others say that Jesus was actually born in a sukkot, one of the temporary booths that Jews at that time built to celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles.

And now, Hannukah.

It was during Hanukkah that the good news about the birth of Jesus was given to a girl in her teens... The heavenly Father was borrowing her womb so His Son could be born as a man. She was already betrothed to Joseph, so the implication of her becoming pregnant before the official wedding ceremony will surely be a great scandal to her and her family. No one would believe her if she said that the baby was the Son of God, and that the pregnancy was caused by a supernatural act of the Holy Spirit. Even in this day and age, it would be quite unbelievable.

And yet, she was willing. And she was obedient.

I remember that beautiful passage:

If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land...
- Isaiah 1:19


Hanukkah is all about willingness and obedience.

During Hanukkah, the focus is on the miraculous supply of oil that kept the candles burning for eight days.

Eight is the number that stands for new beginnings.

Hanukkah is a feast commemorating the miraculous supply of oil. The oil that did not run out for eight days, when there was just enough oil for the lights on the altar to burn for only one day...

Hanukkah speaks about the anointing of cleansing, for re-dedication, for rebuilding, for breakthrough.

Hanukkah is the feast that reminds us that Jesus came to earth as a human embryo at this time. And so, Hanukkah speaks about humility, and obedience... the obedience and humility of Jesus...

...who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God 
a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, 
being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, 
he humbled himself by becoming obedient 
to the point of death, even death on a cross.
- Philippians 2:5-8


Hanukkah also speaks about the obedience and humility of Mary, the beautiful heart of  Mary who called herself the Lord's maidservant, and was willing to let these things be done unto me according to Thy word, and the mother who pondered and treasured things in her heart when they were too awesome for her to comprehend.

Hanukkah speaks of faith, to trust that the Father knows best, when the way is dark.


As December comes to an end, I name this month, and this year 2016, Miraculous Provision.

Yes, I am so thankful that God has made me the recipient of His miraculous provision.

Today my heart is ready for Hanukkah.

Starting tonight, and for the next seven days, I will light the Hanukkah candles, and remember the true meaning of this season for me.



Getting ready to light the candles for Hanukkah Day 1
at sundown tonight.


Originally published in my main blog: Crown of Beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment