Monday, February 4, 2013

The State of My Heart

The Widow's Mite
by James Christensen





Jesus sat down opposite the place
where the offerings were put
and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury.
Many rich people threw in large amounts.
But a poor widow came and put in
two very small copper coins,
worth only a few cents.

Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said,
"Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more
into the treasury than all the others.
They all gave out of their wealth;
but she, out of her poverty, put in everything --
all she had to live on."

- Mark 12: 41-44




The widow's giving did not depend on the state of her finances. Rather, her giving was a reflection of the state of her heart.

The widow gave all she had to live on but was not afraid to let go of it at that moment. 

She had absolute trust in the One who holds her life and is the ultimate source of provision for her needs.

She did not live with a sense of poverty and lack.

She lived with a sense of reckless abandon, which is what true faith is all about.

A wise farmer understands the importance of cooperating with the seasons.

Living with a sense of reckless abandon... this is really what I want. 

There is a place for exercising discretion and wisdom in spending. Saving for the rainy day, and staying out of debt are marks of Godly wisdom. 

But extreme frugality stifles me. It can be a curse and a manifestation of the spirit of poverty and fear of lack in one's heart.

I want to be able to enjoy spending what God graciously provides.

Like the widow in the story, I want to place my absolute trust in the One who holds my life, the ULTIMATE source of provision - for what I need and what I desire.


No comments:

Post a Comment